ACTIVATING GIRLS AND WOMEN
Rise Up activates women, girls, and their allies to drive exponential change by strengthening leadership, investing in local solutions, and building movements – one community at a time, one country at a time. A recent impact survey shows that Rise Up champions have successfully advocated for over 100 laws and policies impacting the lives of 115 million girls, youth, and women since 2009.
OUR IMPACT METHODOLOGY
In early 2016, Rise Up implemented an impact survey with our champions in the countries where we work, measuring the period from program inception (2009) to present. The survey collected data regarding the reach of the leaders’ work with girls, youth, and women. 98 out of 167 participants responded (response rate =59%).
Information was collected on the following:
- Number of girls (ages 10-18) female youth (ages 19-29), male youth (ages 19-29) and women (aged 30 and older) served by the participant’s organization
- Number of dissemination workshops implemented using the Rise Up curriculum
- Number of dissemination workshop participants
- Laws or policies the participant has advocated for, which successfully passed since becoming a Rise Up leader. Respondents were instructed to include national and subnational advocacy successes such as budget allocations, creation of government offices and health centers, as well as formal laws or policies. The questionnaire asked about three categories:
- New laws or policies
- Existing laws or policies where implementation was improved
- Other laws or policies not included in responses to previous questions
Impacts were included if the law, policy or advocacy win had been implemented or passed at the time of the survey. Ongoing advocacy work to pass a law or policy was not counted. Multiple mentions of the same law, policy or advocacy win were counted only once. Initial counts were reviewed by two Rise Up staff to resolve questions and discrepancies. Rise Up country representatives then reviewed impacts and followed-up with survey respondents via phone and email to verify the information.
Numbers of girls, youth and women impacted by the laws and policies are UNDP population estimates by country, and by the following age ranges:
- Girls ages 10-19
- Young Women ages 20-29
- Young men ages 20-29
- Women ages 30-47
Click here to view a powerpoint presentation overview of our methodology.
OUR 2017 RESULTS
Rise Up’s externally validated model has advanced health, education, livelihoods, and rights for 115 million girls, youth and women since 2009. We create large scale change by investing in girls and women who have the power to transform their own lives, communities, and countries.
Rise Up Champions advocated for 16 laws, policies and budgets benefiting girls and women. Rise Up grantees are advancing large-scale change, including a huge policy win in Guatemala outlawing child marriage, and exciting new steps to implement Liberia's Girls' Manifesto in support of the National Children's Law.
Rise Up has provided $574,500 in seed funding directly to organizations in 10 different countries to advance the rights of girls and women.
72 youth and adult leaders have learned how to launch advocacy campaigns, and gone on to train upwards of 1,777 more advocates, a multiplying investment that is powering a movement.
Rise Up has supported 16 leaders to share their powerful work at the UN General Assembly and other global convenings, amplifying their voices with policy makers and funders.